Tuesday, August 14, 2007

An autographical ethical reflection after completing a course on Christian Decision-Making...

PERCEPTION OF STYLES OF DECISION MAKING

FORMATIVE INFLUENCES

The question of formative influences quickly leads me back to my earliest childhood memories. Learning about fairness, playing by the rules, and consequences of disobeying the rules, while playing with my brother and sisters in the backyard. Remembering how my Royal Ambassadors teachers would discipline me for talking when I should not have or goofing of too much during the missionary story. My father spent years time with me in the front yard teaching me how to catch a football, which even to this day we do whenever I visit home. I would spend hours in the kitchen with my mother asking questions about food, medicine, and why girls act the way they do sometimes on the playground. Growing up in Baptist Student Ministry exposed me early to the realities of pain and joy, frustration and excitement, sin and forgiveness, and grace and rejection of grace. I wish I could continue the list, for my life is not my own, it is partially the product of all the people in my life from now and before.

LECTURES

The combination of lectures and open class forum has assisted in being able to perceive my style(s) of decision making. I was shocked at how easily emotions affect my ability to respond in the manner which I know is right. The frustration of not being able to dialogue without making unfair and unfounded value judgements revealed my own prejudices and biases. The lectures continued to reinforce the theme of becoming an ethical person; however, I struggle with my own dissatisfaction and frailty in becoming an ethical person.

TEXTBOOK

The Higgins text accomplished a positive change in my decision making process by reminding of several truths. There is no guarantee that I will ever make THE correct choices in life; however, through a conscious effort and deliberate trust I can increase the odds that I will turn right and make better decisions. I am, and always will be, learning to make good decisions. By growing in relationship with Jesus, by overcoming and adapting my own presuppositions, by interpreting the Bible as correctly as possible, by asking the right questions, and by building a framework around my heritage and community, I begin the life-long journey to make the right decisions.


AREAS OF DECISION MAKING DEVELOPED

PERSONAL

I am growing in the realization that I do not use just one model of decision making, but I do tend to gravitate toward one in particular. The perimeter models include weighing the consequences (teleological) and the categorical imperative of Kant (deontological). At the heart of my decision making process lies the importance of relationship, as asserted by Neibuhr and interpreted by Fletcher, in combination with Biblical norms and principles as asserted by T. B. Maston and Henlee Barnett. The model which arises from such a potpourri bears similarity to the way I understand to decision making patterns of Jesus Christ.

SPECIFIC

The application of such a decision making plan as mentioned above is perhaps another story. My ethical system needs to be reminded of the reality of sin in the world. The way in which I approach an ethical dilemma reveals as much of my personality as does the response to the dilemma. Through the deliberate use of multiple questions, I hope to be able to confront any issue and make response without compromising the people and Biblical principles involved.

CORPORATE

The corporate decision making aspect of my personal ethic needs more development. However, I have seen growth in my ability to recognize that I am not making decisions in a vacuum. I belong to the body of Christ and should not exclude the body from any decision I make. This does not mean that I bring to attention every decision I make, however, I have to be cognizant of the effect which every decision I make will have upon my spiritual family. The logic follows that I also consider input from and the effect on the larger civil community of the world in which I live.

GENERAL

A major area of general decision making involves my treatment of the world around me. I am only recently considering the impact that I have on the ecology of the globe. Through the study of Systematic Theology I was led to understand that Christology and ecology cannot be treated independently in the Kingdom of God.


ISSUES ADDRESSED

INDIVIDUAL-PERSONAL

The way in which I express my sexuality in with my wife is still under the authority of ethical instruction. The marriage relationship was established by God from the beginning to provide companionship, accountability, sexual pleasure, and procreation. The Biblical context of sexual intercourse lies within the relationship of husband and wife to be shared equally. Total freedom within these guidelines allows, and even promotes, healthy use of such taboo acts as masturbation, oral sex, bondage, and anal sex in the marriage expression of sexuality. An argument may be made that the Biblical principle of submission to one another out of reverence for Christ actually places sexuality in its most fulfilling context. Biblical and ethical guidelines serve not as unreasonable restraints, but as a reminder that the other is to be held in higher regard than self.

SOCIAL-GLOBAL

The area of human rights continues to grow in importance in my ethical consciousness. I feel helpless as I see the war-time, methodological rape of women and children in Bosnia, the mass-killing of men by Serbia in Hercegovina and by Russia in Chechnya, the starvation of millions in Africa because of petty dictators, the constant abuse of children by there own parents, and the sexist treatment of women in my own country. I want to close my eyes, tap my heals three times, and hide from this evil. The love of Christ compels me to do the opposite, I must admit the reality of these evils and challenge them. Even if I am only one who cares, Jesus said that those who follow him are the light of world. One small candle in darkest of rooms chases away midnight and gloom.

AREAS CALLING FOR DEVELOPMENT

FIRST THREE CATEGORIES AND NEW AREAS

I need to continue to discover the ways in which my decision making style is affected both positively and negatively. The areas of corporate and general decision making need to be clarified in my own mind before I am to make personal and specific decisions. The decision making process is a continuum in which all four of the ares of decision making are affected whether I intend to act in all four or not. The issues which I attempt to confront with the ethic of the Kingdom need to continue to grow in number and in complexity. However, the most important area calling for further development is in continuing to grow in becoming as ethical person.

PLANS OF ACTION

SPECIFICITY

In order to understand the issues affecting my decision making process I will begin a Journal of Feelings by the end of January in which I can record the issues affecting me. I will not make this a daily project until I can trust myself with the information which I record. The keeping of a feelings journal demands that I trust myself to be honest and open in any and all areas. Until I can do that I will make at least monthly entries. To foster continued growth in the areas of personal, specific, corporate, and general decision making, I will begin at this moment to place myself in broader context. When the ethical dilemmas of life confront me as I read the newspaper, watch television, or see them taking place in life, I will ask myself to consider the personal, specific, corporate, and general implications. In order to make sure that I do this, I will involve my wife in the journey and covenant to grow together as ethical people. The task of becoming an ethical person is the task of working out my salvation with fear and trembling, knowing that it is God who works in me. I commit now to read on a daily basis from all of the Biblical text, not just the portions with which I am already familiar. I commit now to live a life of prayer by being mindful of God in all that I do, being reminded through regular prayer times every day. I commit now to be the ethical person God requires me to be by acting justly, by loving mercy, and by walking humbly with Him.

ADDENDUM

WHAT BILL TILLMAN HAS TAUGHT ME

In my desire to be moral and free, if I do not evaluate my own decision making method critically, I compromise my own moral freedom and personhood.

No comments: