Sunday, July 22, 2007

This is a prayer I offered on May 6, 2007 at Northside Baptist Church. This time I based my prayer on the words of Peter Gabriel, "In Your Eyes"...

Gracious God,

Thank you for allowing us to call you Father and come to you as your dearly loved children. Life is too hard, too complicated, and too confusing to face alone. Thank you for speaking in so many ways to us, but most importantly speaking your Son, the Word that was with you in the beginning. In our worship of you today we look to Him who is the pioneer and perfector of our faith and pray for the day when we can look deeply into his eyes. We seek renewal, restoration, and if necessary, your cleansing fire.

Enduring Spirit,

I get so lost, sometimesdays pass and this emptiness fills my heartwhen I want to run awayI drive off in my carbut whichever way I goI come back to the place you areall my instincts, they returnand the grand facade, so soon will burnwithout a noise, without my pride I reach out from the inside

Merciful Savior,

I don't like to see so much painso much wasted and this moment keeps slipping awayI get so tired of working so hard for our survivalI look to the time with you to keep me awake and alive in your eyesand all my instincts, they returnand the grand facade, so soon will burnwithout a noise, without my prideI reach out from the insidein your eyesthe light the heatin your eyesI am completein your eyesI see the doorway to a thousand churchesin your eyesthe resolution of all the fruitless searchesin your eyesI see the light and the heatin your eyesoh, I want to be that completeI want to touch the light,the heat I see in your eyes.

Gracious God,

Until the time comes when we can proclaim that we no longer see as through a glass darkly but actually see you face-to-face, we will continue to follow the model of prayer that your son taught us…

No comments: