Monday, March 17, 2008



This is too good to pass up...can you see inside the Bush/Cheney psyche? It seems to me that they have developed a John Wayne war movie romanticized view of war and death. To counteract this unrealistic view, perhaps they could both sit down and reflect on their own war experiences: lost time with family, financial hardship, death of comrades, killing another human being, and the horror of collateral damage. Oops...I forgot.

By the way...I do not know if or how I would serve during a time a war, nor do I think that military service should be a prerequisite for elected office. Nonetheless, I do not believe in the practicalities of a Just War...war is always a failure, even if it may be, regrettably, necessary. I am unclear on how a follower of Christ can assume the role of a servant with a gun in his/her hand and malice in his/her heart. Finally, I would at least expect that our Congress would actually declare war as our Constitution dictates. In light of how our nation has deployed its armed forces since World War II, none of the aforementioned criteria has been satisfactorily met. Hence, I would have to respectfully, and conscientiously, object to such service on behalf of my nation, unless I could be allowed to bind the wounds of friend and enemy alike.

No comments: