Tuesday, October 09, 2007

A question to myself...What is the greatest challenge you’ve faced in your career/personal life and how did you overcome it?

When I began serving at Mustard Seed 5 ½ years ago, I inherited an organization with a great mission and a real reason to exist…to create a uniquely Christian community for mentally challenged adults. However, I quickly began to realize that there was a significant lack of cohesiveness among the families, board, staff, volunteers, and even donors. Trust was at an all-time low and communication among the different groups was poor. On several occasions the lack of common trust and healthy communication skills resulted in some very harsh personal criticisms leveled at me that created a significant amount of self-doubt and only reinforced my unrealistic desire to have everyone like me. The mission and my leadership were at risk because the people of Mustard Seed shared no common vision for the future.

In the midst of all that mess, I kept being called back to remember why I came in the first place. The Seedsters offered me a glimpse of Christian community that was not present in the “real world.” I deeply needed the level of grace and forgiveness practiced among them and wanted more people to share it too. I began to reach out and surround myself with those who where willing to practice and celebrate the community life present among the Seedsters. I submitted myself to the expertise of others and in return they allowed me to lead. Together we created an expectation that transparency, accountability, and stewardship would be practiced with love, grace, and forgiveness…at all levels. Slowly, and I must emphasize SLOWLY, trust was forged through hard work, we learned how to listen to each other, an expectation of fairness and love was enforced, and a vision for our quirky community began to form.

I am still learning lessons from the Mustard Seed, even as I have experienced a new call to serve the mission of the Make-A-Wish Foundation of Mississippi. I think I was able to overcome most of the challenges by focusing on the following: Keep the mission first. Be willing to listen and remain open to change. Reach out for help if in need. Believe in yourself, but do not believe your own press. Do the right thing, even if few are. Practice hospitality. Treat others the way that you expect to be treated. Forgive. Love God with all that you are and love your neighbor as proof.

No comments: