Wednesday, October 17, 2007

A question to myself...Describe your best/worst character traits and how you have adapted them to your career/personal life.

I have very high expectations for myself and others. I believe that each of us is endowed with great potential and must prove ourselves to be faithful stewards of our gifts and abilities. I believe that we owe everyone the best that we can offer at any particular time, especially our employer. I believe that we should provoke one another to be the best and expect the best from everyone with whom we come into contact. That particular trait, when applied correctly, produces high quality and abundant fruit; however, when applied unrealistically, it produces frustration, lays the groundwork for burnout, and treats people as a means to an end.

I also believe in second chances. I believe that I must be gracious and forgiving to others since I have been treated graciously and have been forgiven. Being gracious and forgiving does not make excuses for poor performance; rather, it forces us alongside each other into a role of mutual support rather than adversarial criticism. That particular trait, when applied correctly, produces a strong team and redeems what is best; however, when applied incorrectly, it enables excuses, degrades performance, and tickles my need to be a people pleaser.

No comments: